Expert Support—A Technical Writing Company
Expert Support is a technical writing company that recruits, hires, and trains technical writers who know software. We produce documentation that helps you market and sell your products, improves customer satisfaction, and reduces your support costs.
Our ideal customer contracts with us on a project basis. That means you hire us to do something in particular—produce a documentation suite, create content for a website, develop training materials—then we do that for you and we go away until you hire us again.
Sometimes a customer knows that they need a writer, but does not have specific work products in mind. In those cases, we contract on a contingent staffing basis. That means our writer works within your team to organize, plan, and produce your documentation.
We aren’t a recruiting or temporary staffing agency; we don’t try to get you to hire our writers. Many of our writers have been with us for decades. We know how to evaluate writers and we know how to keep our writers happy.
Based in Silicon Valley, California, we are perfectly capable of working remotely if you are.
Why Expert Support?
Here are some reasons to use Expert Support for your technical communication projects:
- Experience: Expert Support has been doing technical writing and technical communication for a long time. We were founded in 1990, and we’ve done thousands of projects since then. Several of our customers have used us for over 200 projects.
- Technical Ability: We specialize in taking on technically difficult jobs and succeeding. Many of our writers were engineers before becoming technical writers. We don’t just write about your product, we understand it first.
- Availability: We have over 25 writers working for us. No matter when your job starts, a writer is likely to be available for it.
- Versatility: We do all forms of technical communication, including paper manuals, PDFs, web pages, wikis, video training, instructor-led training, internal and external websites, and XML/DITA content. We can do whatever your business requires.
- Depth: In addition to our technical writers, we have a production department that does editing, document conversion, technical illustration, indexing, graphic design, and website design. Some of our writers have software development experience, so we can build scripts or web applications to support your developers. We can take your project from start to finish.
We’d be happy to talk to you about your project and see if there is a match between your needs and our capabilities.
If you got here because you are looking for help with your documentation, here are your next steps.
- If you have a project in mind, tell us about it.
- In the We serve menu, find out what we do for documentation managers (aka technical publications managers), software engineering managers, product managers, startup execs, and support groups such as HR or purchasing.
- Learn more about our catalog of services.
- Check out our library of white papers on technical documentation.
- Sign up for our newsletter.
Expert Support Inc. was formed in October 1990. It is a closely held, self-funded, California corporation. Our mission in our early years was to help software companies with the parts of the software business not directly related to software development.
In addition to our core offerings in technical documentation, we have provided:
- Business analysis, requirements, and technical specs
- Instructional design and development
- Source code management services for companies who wanted to create a software factory to support their developers
- Professional services to companies with complex products that required installation, training, and configuration assistance
Over the years, we focused our efforts in response to changes in the software industry. Most of our business today is on the very technical end of the technical communication spectrum. We produce developer-to-developer documentation such as:
- API/SDK reference manuals and design guides
- Architecture documentation
- Internal design documents
- Training resources for new members of the development team
We have a staff of about 30 employees, augmented by a substantial professional network of independent consultants and similar small consulting companies. Our professional staff prides itself on:
- Technical expertise
- The ability to communicate effectively
- Understanding that your documentation fulfills a business purpose
- A pragmatic, cost-aware, get-the-job-done-right approach
Our clients include large software and system companies such as Adobe, Apple, Google, Sony, and Yahoo!. We also work with start-ups who you haven’t heard of…yet!