Are you looking to hire a technical writer to document your API? Are you looking for a writer who can understand your API, communicate effectively with your developers, and produce API documentation that really works for your developer users?
Expert Support can solve your API documentation problems
We specialize in developer-to-developer communication. Many of our writers are former software developers, some with advanced degrees in Computer Science.
In addition, we train our writers in best practices for API documentation. We engage Tom Johnson (IdRatherBeWriting.com) to deliver his course on documenting APIs. We also have our own training to supplement Tom’s course. Some of our writers have attended Google’s training on API documentation developed by Sarah Maddox (FFeathers) and others.
We employ a group of more than 30 experienced technical communication professionals. More than just talented writers, we have practical, cost-conscious communication consultants who can help you plan, estimate, and execute your API documentation projects.
Whether you have an immediate need or are starting to plan for documentation, contact us to explore how we can help with your project.
If you are looking for an API writer
If you got here because you are looking for help with your API documentation, here are your next steps.
- If you have a project in mind, tell us about it.
- In the We serve menu, find out what we do for documentation managers (aka technical publications managers), software engineering managers, product managers, startup execs, and support groups such as HR or purchasing.
- Learn more about our catalog of services.
- Check out our library of white papers on technical documentation.
- Sign up for our newsletter.
Why should you care?
Producing effective API documentation is both important and challenging.
According to a 2013 article from Programmable Web, their survey found the most important factor for evaluating an API was “complete and accurate documentation.”
API documentation is challenging because software developers are usually not good writers, and many writers do not have the technical experience to write for the software developer audience. Writers often cannot effectively experiment with your API due to a lack of programming experience. Many are not competent with the tools that are necessary to produce effective API documentation. You want a writer with experience who can communicate with your development team, understand the value that your API provides, and communicate effectively with your target audience. And do all that without disrupting your development schedules.
If you are an API writer
If you got here because you are a technical writer, are interested in API documentation, and you want to explore the world of consulting for technical communication, we want to connect with you. Here are your next steps.
- Sign up for our newsletter. Select “Potential Employee” or “Potential Trainee” from the list of interests.
- Check out our resources for technical writers.
- Read more about our company:
- Send your resume to jobs (at) expertsupport.com.
- Send us some writing samples. If you don’t have a sufficiently technical sample, find an open-source API and write some documentation for that project.
We hire senior writers with deep technical experience. It is not easy to meet our standards. If you do, though, we can help you create a fulfilling career as an API technical writer.